If we just go for a stroll in the old town, we’ll realize the charm of the city‘s narrow little streets, that preserve the historic aspect of the village and take us back to the past time. Every street here leads us to the sea and reveals the special light of Sitges that has won the heart of the Modernist painters who visited the city at the time.
From among the main monuments to see we’ll find:
The Cau Ferrat Museum: consists of two old fishermen houses, converted by the painter Santiago Rusinyol into his own home-studio. The museum houses a large collection of works of pottery, wrought iron, archaeology, ancient glass and, above all, a large picture gallery with works by Rusinyol, Zuloaga, Casas, Utrillo, Picasso, Camarassa and, among others, two magnificent paintings by El Greco. The Cau Ferrat Museum is known as the meeting place for the artists of Catalan Modernism.
The Maricel Museum is located in the old Sant Joan Hospital, at the Fonollar street, by the Mediterranean sea. Several art collections are displayed inside, the sea collection of Emerencià Roig, with drawings, models and tools of the art of fishing; the Modern art collection, with works by artists linked to Sitges from Romanticism to the twentieth century; and the important collection of medieval art donated by Dr. Perez Rosales. It is also provided with an important collection of Romanesque and Gothic sculptures. Some of the rooms are famous for just the beautiful views over the sea and rocky cliffs that, thanks to their large windows, come into visitors sight.
The Romantic Museum is located in Sant Gaudenci Street, in a house of the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century perfectly preserved, also known as Can Llopis. The elegant neoclassical style building is provided with a traditional Mediterranean central courtyard. In 1949 a museum was opened inside that, in his different rooms, shows us the lifestyle in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. One of its most important collections is the collection of antique dolls of Lola Anglada, artist and writer, that displays more than 400 pieces from different periods and countries.
The Church of Sant Bertomeu and Santa Tecla, the patron saints of Sitges, is located at the City Hall square, the historic centre of the town, in a place known as the Baluart, at the end of the sea front promenade of Paseo de la Ribera. It was built in the seventeenth century and rebuilt several times throughout its history. The outstanding bell tower at one of the sides of the façade, looking at the beach of La Fragata, is one of its most remarkable features. It is considered one of the most emblematic buildings of the town and was declared in 1962 as a Historic-Artistic Monument.
The Baluart square (Bastion) stands imposing over the rocks of La Punta and is a splendid position to watch the sea and beaches of Sitges. It has kept one of the six guns of the battery of the bastion, which on April 24th 1757, according to the inscription by the cannon, fired on two British frigates and after a long fight of four hours defeated and forced the two British frigates to leave.
The City Hall of Sitges is located in the City Hall square over the headland of La Punta, the historic centre of the town, in a civil building of the late twentieth century next to the parish Church of Sant Bertomeu and Santa Tecla.
The Old Municipal Market also known as Mercat Vell, is located next to the City Hall. It is a one shop building in iron, the first to be built with this material in Sitges. It was opened in 1890 and is now used as a cultural space.
The city has also organized various artistic and cultural routes, among which:
The Route of the Old Town: will visit all the buildings that we have previously detailed.
The Route of the Americans: takes us throughout the city and presents us with the architectural gems of the times of the Americans (those people from Sitges that would emmigrate to America in search of fortune and, on his return, would spend much of their savings in the construction of buildings and mansions.
This route is composed of about eighty buildings and monuments built in different styles: neoclassical, romantic, eclectic, modern and Noucentisme.
Given the distribution of these buildings throughout the city, this route can be divided into four itineraries:
First Itinerary: It starts in the old town, will continue around the city hall and the Sant Sebastià beach and will finishes by the cemetery.
Second Itinerary: It starts in the town centre and continues to the train station.
Third Itinerary: It goes along the sea promenade of Passeig de la Ribera and adjacent streets.
Forth Itinerary: It goes along the sea promenade of Paseig Marítim until the Terramar area. This itinerary, known also as the Route Terramar, will visit the first summer houses built in the city garden of Terramar. In autumn 1918, with the support of the council, the industrial, Francesc Armengol, did promote the development of the Terramar area, the first project of a City Garden in Catalonia that would be inaugurated in April 1933.
The Route of the Souls: will transport us from the city centre to the cemetery, where we can appreciate the monumental funerary sculpture from the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, which was of great artistic value. The whole collection is formed by works of important sculptors, such as: J. Llimona and F. Marés and is dedicated to distinguished personalities of the town.